April 19, 2011

Limited


I’m not really into watching movies. I like to sit down every now and then and watch a good film but you know those people who want to go see the movie in the theater on opening day at midnight? I’m definitely not that person. Even though I’m not really into movies there are a few that I will always be a huge fan of.

I know it’s considered cool pop culture nerd to say this but it’s totally true: I love Star Wars. Not the new ones – George should have quit while he was ahead in my opinion. I’m talking about A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I remember being a little girl and my Dad bringing these movies home for us to watch and I was enthralled. The stories were amazing and the force was this limitless source to tap into to wreck major havoc on the dark lord Sith. Not to mention those ewoks were adorable and I dreamed of finding one some day. 

It’s movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Batman and Chariots of Fire (yes Chariots of Fire) that get me. These movies show people (or hobbits) that have extraordinary powers and abilities. Luke has the force. Frodo has the ring and his gang of mythical friends backing him up. Batman is billionaire Bruce Wayne and let’s be honest sometimes it’s awesome to have money. It can buy you the batmobile and that sweet utility belt he uses to protect Gotham city. And last but not least, my favorite Eric Liddell – who won the 400 meters in the 1924 Summer Olympics and was known as the flying Scotsman. 

While the majority of all these characters are purely fictional, no one can argue that they aren’t powerful. The force and Bruce Wayne’s bank accounts will never run out. It’s like these guys have no limits. I on the other hand certainly have limits. I’m no Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins. I can’t fly. I can’t run at incredible speeds. I don’t have overwhelming strength. I don’t have the batmobile or utility belt.

But my limits don’t stop there. I am limited in giving because I don’t have a bottomless bank account. I am limited in serving because I just don't have enough time. I am limited at loving people who hurt and disappointment me. I am limited in my ability to forgive others. I am limited in overcoming temptation and evil. I am limited in my belief for the impossible. I am limited in receiving God’s blessings because I don’t think they’re for me. I am limited in understanding God and knowing His ways.

 Matthew 19:26 says:  
With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
I don’t know what areas you may feel limited in lately and we certainly live in a world where our limitations are constantly being thrust in our faces, but God is not limited where I am. Where I am limited God is not and therefore He enables me to be unlimited when I lean on Him.

Here are 5 Bible verses that encourage me when I feel limited:

1. Colossians 3:13 says that I am to forgive as the Lord has forgiven me.

2. James 1:5 talks about if anyone is lacking wisdom they are to ask for it because God generously bestows it upon us.

3. Matthew 7:10-12 Jesus says that no earthly father would give his child a stone or a snake when they ask for bread and a fish and then posses the question how much more will your heavenly father give what is good to those who ask Him?

4. 1 Corinthians 10:13 talks about that God won't allow a temptation to become too strong for me to handle and that He will show me a way out of it.

5. 1 John 4:8 says that God is love and therefore God is unlimited in His ability to love because it’s the very nature of who He is.

Because God is unlimited, we, His children are safe and it is when we fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith that He offers us the guidance, the will and the strength to push through our limitations.
This, this is the God we adore. Our faithful, unchangeable friend. Whose love is as great as His power, and neither knows measure nor end. ‘Tis Jesus, the first and the last, whose Spirit shall guide us safe home. We’ll praise Him for all that is past, and trust Him for all that’s to come. - Joseph Hart