March 1, 2011

No Longer Single Conversations


There are some days where I find it difficult to be single. And maybe it’s just me but there seems to specific times and seasons where being single is hard. I think everyone has some of their own personal hard times but there are also some universal hard single times. These times include and are not limited to: holidays, weddings, beginning of summer, winter - specifically the time from the 2 weeks before Christmas to Valentine’s Day. But there is no doubt that the hardest and most difficult time to be single is when another one of your single friends bites the dust and goes from being a me to a we. I recently was with some girlfriends and ended up sharing this with them. They were laughing and my friend encouraged me to share this because in her words “it’s so true.” Hopefully someone out there won’t be ashamed to admit that they have felt this way at one time.

These are usually how my conversations with my formerly single friends go when they are telling me about their new found love and outlook on life.

Friend: … and that’s how it all happened and he’s just great!

Me: Wow! That is so awesome! Sigh why not me.

Friend: Yeah I’m just so happy and I’ve never felt this way about anyone. I mean granted it’s been only a few weeks but I just don’t see how this could get any better! I’m so excited!

Me: New relationships are always exciting. Dear God WHY?!

Friend: Yeah it’s so funny too because I threw in the towel on dating and relationships and then like two weeks later we meet! It was a total God thing.

Me: Yeah well I threw in the towel on dating 6 years ago sister and I don’t see anyone knocking on my door! You ‘threw in the towel’ if we can even call it that for like a month! You couldn’t even last a month! That’s why you’re starting this relationship. Well that’s just the way God works some times. His timing is perfect for us. Except for me!!

Friend: Oh so true. I know I keep saying it but I’m just so happy and I’m excited and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think this is it for me. I mean I don’t see myself feeling this way about anyone else and I don’t see myself meeting anyone else who’s more perfect for me.

Me: That’s just great. Gag. I can’t think of anyone else who’s more deserving of this than you. Except maybe myself. I mean seriously God this person gets to be in a relationship and I don’t?! I’m so much better and more deserving than this person. I’m more mature and spiritual and good looking and I love you more and I’m more surrendered to Your will and I’m just so more ready for a relationship than this person! Why can’t you bless me with a relationship? I can’t believe you’re doing this to me!

Friend: Well I’m sorry I gotta run I’m meeting him later this afternoon. It was great to catch up!

Me: Yeah you too. I’m so happy for you. Let me know how everything’s going. I hate you.